Saturday, October 9, 2010

Choosing Sides

This afternoon, I watched what I thought would be a great football game between the University of Alabama and the University of South Carolina. I'm a Tarheel by birth, as most of you know, and they won today. But I like Alabama football. I lived there for a number of years and will always enjoy that storied program.

When we first moved to Alabama, I knew little of the football rivalry between Auburn University and the University of Alabama. When I was asked which team I wanted to win, I told my co-workers that I wanted them both to win, unless they were playing each other. Wrong answer! You see, even though I knew about the great tradition of these schools, I had not lived it. When it came to living in Alabama, I had to make a choice and be loyal to the team I chose - win or lose.

It occurs to me that the same is true of living a life of faith. We can't be for everything until they come into conflict. We have to choose. In the game of life, we choose God, or we choose something else. We can't have it both ways.

Roll Tide anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment